When twitter began in the spring of 2006, I didn’t know what to make of it. What would I use it for besides a voyeuristic view into the lives of Demi Moore and Ashton Kutcher or to tell my 5 followers what I was having for lunch?
At the time, none of us in the Silicon Valley could have predicted how disruptive social media was going to be in ad space, marketing and communication.
Over the years we have seen the reach of social media evolve from just 140 characters of nonsense. Social Media, when managed correctly, can be deliberate, strategic and reap numerous rewards.
Here’s how companies and organizations are using social media, and you can too:
- Change customer perception of a previously stigma’d product (see Domino’s pizza)
- Create buzz for soft launching products (see Taco Bell Locos Tacos campaign)
- Create a platform to promote yourself, and broaden your audience. Some people have even gotten record deals and more YouTube views than people who have been in the industry decades longer. (see Justin Bieber and pop duo Karmin)
- Start a movement for a relevant cause- Social Revolutions and movements have sparked and broadened awareness quickly all on social media outlets (see KONY, Occupy Movement, revolution in Egypt)
When researching for a client consultation meeting, I will always google a client and search for them on Facebook, Twitter, Yelp and YouTube. One of my first consultation bullets will always be, GET ON SOCIAL MEDIA!
- A Level Playing Field-You can be a one man show food truck, but be more successful on twitter and facebook than a big household name brand.
- Its Free!!– Free is FANTASTIC. If you are creative, you can make the free versions of Social Media really work for you.
- Personal Service- Social Media makes it personal again. I have a complaint, I can @reply you or post on your wall, and you or your team can reply to me no matter where you are, and no matter where I am. We can be connected quickly. It allows you to be in literally your customers’ pockets (via their mobile phone).
Have questions regarding how we can help your brand? SlingShot Connections is happy to get you connected, with our solution SlingShotLive