Location: Novato, California
Overview of position:
The Community Manager (“CM”) oversees a portfolio of Homeowner Association accounts to ensure business is executed in a timely and accurate manner, in accordance with Association governing documents, Board policies, FirstService policies and procedures, California Civil Code and other applicable regulations. A successful CM is a well-organized, proactive person who takes pride in the appearance of the community and enjoys building relationships with boards of directors, committees and residents. The CM “owns” the client relationship and is responsible for understanding and meeting client expectations. CM’s enjoy a high degree of autonomy as long as they remain service-oriented, accessible and accountable. CM’s receive a high level of corporate support from Associate Community Managers, Accounting Staff, Regional Controllers, IT and Senior Leadership.
Responsibilities: Include the following,
• Acquire an understanding of all Community governing documents (CCRs, By-Laws and published rules) and ensure all requirements are followed.
• Quickly gain a working knowledge of FirstService systems (including Connect, Auto Board Packet, Auto AP, Vantage, Jenark, etc.), and assimilate standard operating policies and procedures.
• Proactive inspection of landscape and other common amenities and timely execution of necessary repair and maintenance activities.
• Prepare concise, yet detail-oriented board meeting packets which allow the board to make informed decisions without lengthy discussion.
• Attend and participate in board meetings and prepare minutes.
• Approve and code vendor invoices and ensure vendors comply with the terms of their service contracts.
• Gather detailed bids for major non-recurring projects, or for requested changes in recurring vendor contracts.
• Monitor the financial position of the association and present monthly financial reports and any documents requiring board member signatures.
• Respond to homeowner / resident requests for maintenance or compliance issues, or architectural change approvals.
• Create an annual calendar of key client meetings and events and incorporate into Connect and personal calendar.
• Prepare and post board meeting agendas.
• Lead boards towards the development of short-term and long-range plans, and then develop recommendations for specific action plans to achieve Board objectives.
• Prepare annual budget drafts with updated reserve study disclosures and ensure the annual budget is distributed in a timely manner.
• Support the activities of various Board sub-committees and provide a seamless connection between the Board of Directors and committees.
• Administer the Annual Election and meeting.
• Ensure annual CPA audit / review is completed and distributed within 120 days of year end. Also ensure tax returns are completed and filed by CPA.
• Assess and monitor community needs: identify opportunities for improved communication or service delivery methods. Implement programs or improvements.
• Must have reliable transportation and be able to drive to other work locations. Most board meetings take place in the evening during the work week.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills. Must be an “active” listener who can anticipate issues and drive for mutually satisfactory resolution.
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Applications, especially Word and Excel.
• Service oriented mindset, with multi-tasking abilities and flexible, resilient attitude.
• Must be able to instill confidence in board members and residents by being prepared and knowledgeable.
• Strong multi-tasking and time management skills are required.
• Must be able to deal with conflict and work well under pressure
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
• Bachelors Degree in Public Administration, Business Administration or related field preferred, or
• Management experience in a small or medium-sized organization including responsibility for more than one functional department.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
• Valid Drivers License and State Mandated Vehicle Insurance
- CACM Certification preferred