Location: Monterey, CA
The HR Generalist would be working for an insurance company. This is a temporary to long-term position for the right candidate.
This position functions as a mid to senior level Human Resources Generalist with emphasis in the areas of staffing/renewal programs such as open enrollment, employee relations, LOA, compensation, performance appraisal management, compliance, and salary and benefits administration. In partnership with the HR Manager, the HR Generalist will provide coaching and direction to employees in the areas of conflict resolution and performance management. The HR Generalist will serve as the key contact for the performance review process. This position is responsible for carrying out Human Resources initiatives that advance the company’s business objectives and the effective management of human capital. This assignment acts as a business partner with client managers to develop human resources responses to the organization’s business needs. The HR Generalist will be responsible for HRIS and SharePoint Administration and database management. At least 50% of the Generalist duties will involve recruiting.
- Conducts research, analysis, and assignments related to human resources policy, programs, and procedures at the request of company management. Maintains knowledge of human resources best practices and trends in areas such as labor relations, compensation, benefits, employment law, regulation, and employment practices. Prepares narrative reports, statistical analysis, and other communications as needed; may conducts or assist in presentations to employees and managers on topics related to project work.
- Supports the Company’s staffing/renewal initiatives by sourcing qualified talent for current and future opportunities. Works with managers and supervisors to develop job specifications for openings, develops cost-effective recruiting strategies to attract talent; assists in employee assimilation and orientation to benefits, policies and practices.
- Develops and recommends personnel policies, practices, and procedures to ensure compliance with federal/state law and regulation related to employment. Monitors developments and trends in labor relations, regulations, and law that could affect company personnel policies and procedures. Advises management and supervisory personnel of changes that are needed or required as a result of legislation. Monitors employee issues/concerns and reports on trends or major emergent issues as needed.
- Performs problem solving and recommends solutions in the resolution of employee relations issues and concerns. Ensures management consistency in the application of company policy. Conducts employee investigations to determine facts and relevant information and communicates findings to senior management. Recommend solutions and alternatives comply with company policies and procedures. Maintains documentation and confidential files of investigations and actions taken.
- Responsible for providing HR support for employees in all company business territories. Must be adaptable and available for occasional overnight travel.
- Develops, coordinates, and presents training programs for managers, supervisors, and employees to improve organizational effectiveness. Identifies or develops training programs that meet objectives established by senior management. Works with the HR Associate to ensure proper maintenance of training tracking system. Prepares materials for courses using available resources.
- Performs back up and support for Company Human Resources Information Systems and programs including online performance appraisal system and HRIS.
- Basic knowledge of insurance principles and insurance business concepts with industry staffing experience in the recruitment of technology, underwriting, risk management and claims preferred.
- Strong communication skills both orally and in writing. Skilled individual and group process techniques and strong interpersonal relations, must be able to make effectively group presentations to employees, management and business partners.
- Thorough knowledge of state and federal employment laws and employment practices, compensation and rewards systems, staffing/renewal systems.
- Strong skills in influencing, counseling, consulting, negotiation, and leadership with experience involving conflict resolution.
- Ability to work independently and exercise decision making within designated level of authority and act for the HR Manager in the manager’s absence.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources Management, Business Administration or related discipline
- PHR/PHR certification highly preferred.
- A minimum of 5 to 8 years of experience required in a professional Human Resources assignment involving recruitment, training, organizational development with at least five of those years in Generalist capacity.
- Experience in insurance or financial services industry preferred.
- Technical writing skills preferred along with sound PC skills and experience with Excel, Word and Windows.