Location: San Jose, CA
The Payroll Manager is responsible for timely and accurate semi-monthly processing of a payroll, payroll-related legal and regulatory compliance, payroll accounting journal entries and payroll account reconciliations. Management over time sensitive payroll tasks including payroll tax filings, time and labor management system, and garnishment processing.
- Process payroll for 700+ exempt and non-exempt employees, semi-monthly through Quickbooks by assigned deadlines and processing all compensation, including salaries, bonuses and commissions.
- Document and maintain new hires, terminations, time off tracking, sick days, status changes, LOA’s, rate changes, retroactive adjustments, special pays.
- Process off cycle termination/final checks and any discrepancy that may be brought to our attention including but not limited to: pay rate error, deduction errors, etc.
- Collect, calculate and enter data to ensure accurate payroll including changes to exemptions, insurance coverage, and uniforms.
- Audit time punches, verify wages, check for meal break penalties, etc.
- Pay payroll taxes and book correctly in the system.
- Quarterly tax filings
- Ensure state and local tax information is set up correctly in payroll system and maintained.
- Ensure that all garnishment and levies are done in accordance with the law.
- Act as a point of contact for all general payroll inquiries. Provide prompt, courteous, and efficient customer service to employees and managers who have questions regarding their pay, deductions, or the payroll process.
- Work closely with HR and Accounting. Assist in the implementation and design of controls as well as ensuring separation of duties between HR and Finance, and within Finance.
- Work closely with all managers. Ensure that all non-exempt employee timesheets are approved by managers in a timely fashion, and that timesheet data is processed accurately, including calculation of shift differentials and overtime pay.
- Coordinate with HR to ensure health deductions are accurate for the respective plan
- Responsible for all year end processing (W2-W2C) activity
- Prepare for and Manage Audits (Workers comp)
- Experience implementing payroll systems. Create internal training and development plan to build processing ability, compliance knowledge, and leadership skills with management team.
- Comply with all company policies and departmental procedures, ensuring honest and ethical conduct.
- Be the expert on payroll reporting through the current system and a primary contact for obtaining all payroll data.
- Prepare payroll-related journal entries (including, but not limited to the vacation and payroll accruals) in the general ledger accounting system and reconcile payroll related balance sheet accounts on a monthly basis.
Skills and Specifications
Thorough knowledge of payroll functions and processes. Strong knowledge of payroll-related Comprehensive knowledge of Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and related federal and state labor regulations, including payroll tax regulations, and compliance requirements, especially in California, is required. Knowledge of GAAP and payroll accounting principles. Ability to understand employee payroll issues, and to communication solutions effectively, professionally, and respectfully
- Minimum of 5-7 years of recent experience as Payroll Manager, including payroll accounting, payroll taxes and garnishments in a large company environment
- Multi-unit restaurant and/or retail experience a plus
- Knowledge of time and labor management and HRIS systems a plus
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or business, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) designation strongly preferred; American Payroll Association (APA) membership a plus